Monday, January 7, 2013

Video Of The Week: The Boomtown Rats

Many folks know Bob Geldof as the old guy who gets U2 and/or Bono to play all these benefit events, but before that, he led The Boomtown Rats, an Irish New Wave band that had a few semi-hits between 1979 and 1985, among which She's So Modern and this week's entry, I Hate Mondays.

Now, like Garfield, I really do hate Mondays, to the point where in College and University, whenever I could, I would choose classes in order to have Mondays off and instead start my week off on Tuesdays, which was the greatest idea ever: not only did it make my weekends a day longer than everyone else's, it also forced me to be on the ball as soon as I did make my way to school, because everybody was already right into their week, so I couldn't afford to be in a ''Monday slump''.

The song itself, though, is inspired by a much more tragic story: on January 29th, 1979, Brenda Ann Spencer, then aged 16,  killed two and injured 9 (eight kids and a cop) while shooting at her neighbour school from the comfort of her own home. Not only did she not show any remorse, her explanation  for the crime was "I don't like Mondays; this livens up the day."

Enjoy.

No comments: