Sunday, April 28, 2013

Video Of The Week: Brooke Annibale

This was going to be my Video Of The Week last week, until I heard about Divinyls singer Chrissy Amphlett's passing. I now take the opportunity to feature it this week instead:

Brooke Annibale was born in Pittsburgh but moved to Nashville as a young adult, with the idea to become a professional musician in the back of her mind the whole time.

While more folk-pop than country, her mellow acoustic sound feels at home in the city of the Grand Ole Opry and is reminiscent of Sarah McLachlan, Lauren Hoffman and Beth Orton. I'd like to see her be featured on a shoegaze track, or maybe a blues/soul/rock duet in the vein of Jack White's Love Interruption, but I also appreciate the musical universe she's constructing for herself.



Oddly enough, my favourite part of this song is the final minute, where she forgoes the cutesy varying melodies (and all-in-all Jewel-isms) and goes to the essence of her actual feelings on repetitive chords, after the final chorus.

No comments: